Thursday, October 6, 2011

Black dogs in Taiwan

Unlike the U.S., Taiwan has many wild/stray black dogs. Most dogs I have seen in the States are pets, but most dogs I have seen in Taiwan seem to be stray or wild dogs. I also wonder if Taiwanese people just don't have the habit of putting collars around the necks of their dogs.

During my interviews with various people this week, I learned that many Taiwanese valued male black dogs in the mid-20th century. In the winter, they would cook male black dogs and gather relatives, neighbors, and friends to have a small feast. My grandparents once had a beautiful male black dog that went missing. They eventually learned of its fate. My grandfather got mad at his friend for cooking his pet, but his friend responded, "Well, you also ate and enjoyed it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment