Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Yoga

I began my weekly yoga lessons within the first week after arriving in Taiwan. As a beginner in an advance class and someone who has never been flexible, I tried not to compare with other classmates. Many poses are the same as ones I had learned already, but the instructor's instructions made a big difference for me. Contrast to the UC Santa Cruz yoga instructor who emphasizes the relaxation of every part of my body, this instructor in Taiwan emphasizes belly tightening and spinal cord extension while relaxing other parts of my body. I still have trouble tightening up my belly while maintaining the post and relaxing every part of my body. I "naturally" tightened up my shoulders. This combination of tightening and relaxation in different parts of my body has resulted in aches and soreness I experience in each part of my body, especially each bone and muscle on my back.

I hope that these lessons will be worth it, especially since this is the only form of exercise I am doing in Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment