Monday, August 10, 2009

Yukata



Last Friday, Aug. 7, we had the cultural experience of wearing yukata, which literally means bath clothes (bathrobe). It is the informal traditional Japanese clothing. I got there early and picked up a cream color yukata with red flowers on it, since I know I look good in red. The effect was fine. I think I look better in the red yukata I bought. You can see them in the pictures and judge for yourself.

We get to wear the formal clothing, kimono, in November. We are told that it is because it is more of a winter clothing since there are multiple layers. The kimono is also much more expensive. The yukata teacher showed us a used kimono used for brides at wedding ceremonies. That one kimono costs 2,000,000 yen ($20,000 US if you assume the exchange rate is 100 yen to $1 US) and it is not the most expensive kimono.

No comments:

Post a Comment