Friday, July 24, 2009

Bunraku Theatre

Anya and I went to a Bunraku theatre performance at the National Bunraku Theater in Osaka today, July 24. Bunraku is the Japanese puppet show that began in the 17th century. The puppets weigh 15 kg each and are 2/3 my height (about 100cm). Each puppet is handled by three puppet masters: the main one handles the head, body and right hand, the second master handles the left hand, and the third master handles the feet. The feet is considered the easiest part, and it takes 10 years to master. It takes another 10 years to master the left hand, another 10 years for the main master. It means the main master has at least 30 years of training. You can find out more by googling.

The performance was four-hour long, only 1/3 the length of the original play. The part we saw was the love story of a samurai and a samurai-class woman in love, who got separated. The woman went search for him and became a blind begger. At the end of the play, her lover's awesome medicine cured her blindness, but they were still parted.

The puppetry is accompanied by a narrator who chants like he sings, and shamisen (an musical instrument) player. There were many narrators and shamisen players who alternated throughout the play. They were really amazing also! For this play, we also head a goto (Chinese "piano") performance because the woman character performed a piece on her goto. Because we sat on the second row in the center of the theatre, we actually saw how each tiny finger moved on the instrument. It was totally amazing! The body movement of each character was also amazing. Sometimes the movements are exaggeration, as in if real humans acted them out, they were look awkward. Other movements were superior to if real humans performed them because I could not see how real humans could perform bodily movements that convey the emotions that the puppets were able to convey.

I rented an English guide that translated the main plots and provided basic information on the music and puppet movements as well as historical facts when relevant. My headphone's volume was accidentally turned off during the first 30 minutes (when the two lovers met), so I had no idea what they were saying. Luckily I checked with Anya and found out that there was supposed to be some translations as I watched the show. The performance became more fun once I can understand the basic story plot.

I finally got used to not looking at the puppet masters and began to focus mostly on the puppets in the final hour of the performance. I wish I could watch another performance because I think I can appreciate the puppets much more now. Too bad i will not because I do not think I can afford it. This performance will be reimbursed by the Institute as part of the cultural program they fund. Yes, I know I am so lucky here! My ticket and train ride will be reimbursed.

No comments:

Post a Comment