Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mongolian Music Concert and Tanabata Kazari Making


This is my tree.

The Kumatori International Friendship Club sponsored a small concert of Mongolian music and a session of Tanabata kazari making yesterday, Saturday, July 11, 2009. The event took place in this old Japanese house. I got to sit on tatami.

The concert was amazing with the Mongolian musician who not only played the traditional Mongolian instrument (it can play music like a violin and viola), but he sang amazingly. He made sounds that did not sound like a human voice, but a music instrument.

We then made Tanabata kazari- decorations for the tree during the Tanabata celebration/festival. One ties his/her wish to the tree. We had home-made cakes that tasted like store-bought!

This was an intimate setting, mainly because ten people from the Instituted signed up but did not show up. The Kumatori club members who sad. I felt very bad because it was rude.

So far the events I have been to have not been the same. I enjoyed each one of them very much. I need to start to think about questions that I would like to ask ordinary Japanese. Maybe not so ordinary because they willingly joined the international exchange club to interact with foreigners. But these are as close to "ordinary Japanese" as I can get.

I just love my program. Everything is set up, and all these events are free with door-to-door pick-up and drop-off. I am so happy that I am in the Japan Foundation Kansai program!

1 comment:

  1. How can you write this much, yet not have enough time to comment on my blog? sniff. sniff.

    ReplyDelete