Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Festival



In this picture, Lindsey Sasaki and I at the Summer Festival.

Summer Festival on Saturday, July 4, 2009

Note: I have been either too lazy or busy to update my blog.

The Misaki Town International Exchange Circle people picked up us after 4pm on Fourth of July to attend an indoor summer festival. I could not believe how most foods were home-made, at least they appeared to be (I did not ask). A school teacher began to talk to me right after I got some food, and thus I did not eat until most people finished their foods, and the introduction/game began. I was slightly sad because I was not full but did not get to have more foods.

Besides our program, four or so other international student/researcher groups were present. The sponsor asked each member from each group to introduce themselves. Lindsey Sasaki and I were the only Americans, and were put on the spot to listen to people humming half of "Star-Spangled Banner" before we had to express our "feelings" about our Independence Day. Neither of us knew what to say, and since my Japanese is better than Lindsey's, I held the microphone. But I have never been good with impromptu questions without at least five calm minutes to think about. Lindsey and my combined answer was beyond bad, but the crowd cheered anyways. I should say at least half of the crowd had attention elsewhere.

The sponsor requested those ladies who wished to wear yukata (literally "bath robe," but it is what most Japanese wear nowadays instead of the heavier and more complicated kimono) to do paper-scissors-rock to decide the two lucky ladies. Unfortunately I was the runner-up, third place.

Unexpectedly, we played many Japanese children's games for at least one hour, it might have been 1.5 hours.

Many children from all ages were present. From a few months old to middle schoolers. I saw who in my program love children. Of course there were old people also. I had lots of fun.

We returned to the Institute at 8:30pm.

I wore a red shirt with blue jeans, and tied my hair with blue and red hairbands for our Fourth of July. I have to thank Lindsey for wearing hers, and thus reminded me that I could do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment