Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Real Research Begins

I met with Uozumi-sensei today to discuss my research. She is a Japanese language teacher at the Institute who researches on Taiwanese aborigines during the Japanese colonial period. Yazawa-sensei, my official advisor at the Institute, suggests that I speak to Uozumi-sensei about my research. Uozumi-sensei spent one hour and 40 minutes with me, starting with a short self-introduction and a discussion of my research background. She then spent a lot of time on the internet, showing me various sites I can use to look up articles and researcher names. She says I should have about three or four days of research work now. I really need to start to research, be active. I am worried about my master's paper, but am limited by either my Japanese proficiency or the location of my sources (Taiwan). I will have to take one step at a time and see what happens. But I need to start to work and focus on Taiwan, for now.

1 comment:

  1. Do not despair! It took me about three solid months in Taiwan before I was comfortable enough to even handle newspapers in Chinese at the library (and then only with painstaking slowness) and another month after that (4 months after I arrived) to start looking for professors to speak with about my research. You are well ahead of schedule! :-)

    ReplyDelete