Monday, July 20, 2009

Umi no Hi (Day of the Sea)



Today (Monday, July 20, 2009) is Umi no Hi (Day of the Sea). Japanese are all supposed to go to the sea and do something there. I signed up for a beach cleaning followed by a yacht sailing event. Because of the rain, the beach cleaning was canceled. I found out when I went to the meeting place at 6:40am. I could not go back to sleep, so I stayed up until after 8am when I was able to eat breakfast.

We met at 8:45am for the sailing event and then walked to the harbor. Michael and his wife Neda also came! I was so surprised but very happy to see them. We were not on the same yacht though. Each yacht had 6 to 7 passengers plus two drivers/sailors. I was in the boat with Julio Cesar and Miyuki from my six month program, two Japanese elementary students, one Japanese older woman (her husband was one of the drivers) and a middle-age man. I sailed the boat at some point, even though I still do not know for sure how to drive it. We sailed for over one hour.

I asked the Japanese passengers when and why the Day of the Sea began, but I did not understand the reason (or that no one knew the reason) but I learned that it began 13 years ago. I mostly asked the elementary students about their school life. I could not find questions for the adults at this point. But it was my first time talking extensively with Japanese people.

After the yacht ride, we gathered to have free cold drinks for cheers (kambai) and photography. The exchange circle also gave each participant a set of lucky stones according to one's Chinese animal astrology sign. I made more conversation- I talked to the woman with a newborn whom I saw last month at my very first exchange event. I exchanged contact info with her. I also took picture with her and her newborn in my arms. You can see it on my picasa. I had so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment