Sunday, November 1, 2009

Flea Market

I walked into the Yokohama Arena and found the flea market taking place today. I ended up spending a lot money, but only 300 yen on used stuff- one shirt, one scarf, and one umbrella.

I did not understand the event at first because merchants I encountered at first were all selling new stuff, and I did not realize I had bought second-hand shirt and scarf until much later when I began to see tons of places selling `100 yen-only` for shirts, pants, jackets, shoes, etc. This made me realize that Japanese are instead in a bad recession. But then I also remember reading the article in my Japanese textbook that says flea markets are getting more popular in Japan because Japanese are becoming more environmentally-conscious and they also like cheaper but good-quality goods.

Two complaints- the smell of second-hand goods was not that great and that most places have so much clothes piled on top of each other in big piles that it was difficult to select goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment