Sunday, November 1, 2009

Yokohama`s Ramen Museum

I went to Yokohama on my first day off research-related activity. I did not go to the *real* Yokohama, but to the Shin (means `new`) Yokohama station area to visit the Ramen Museum. I thought I had wasted my 300 yen admission fee at first because I only saw the souvenir store and the display of ramen`s history in Japan, the various styles of ramen in Japan now, and the essential tools used at a ramen shop. But when I head downstairs to have lunch, I became happier because the set-up was a 1950s Japanese shop area. Police station, barbershop, salon, train station, tobacco shop, doctor`s office, residential places, hot bath place, motorcycles, and movie theaters. One can only see the outside of each place and not enter except for the policy station and the phone booth. One could also see the locker area of the hot bath place and the train station.

Besides the various ramen style restaurants, they actually sell drinks, snacks and games in the style of the 1950s Japan. There was also one shop where they sold all `traditional` Japanese toys and snacks. I wanted to buy this gel thing that you get to make a ball/balloon thing because I used to play with it as a kid in Taiwan. I did not buy it because I wanted to wait until I get to Taiwan- probably cheaper.

In summary, I think it is worth it to go visit this place once, especially if you like older things or/and ramen.

No comments:

Post a Comment