Sunday, November 1, 2009

Research typing

Because it costs 50 yen (exchange rate is about 90 yen per dollar) per copy, I decided to type up research notes at Waseda University Library (instead of write because I got tired from hand-write research notes for 6 days almost straight, with one-day break after the fourth day). I spent two hours typing up two-page 12-point-font word doc file. The book was quite large but it was 2.5 pages. I wonder if it is worth it to type it up. I had thought about typing up all my handwritten notes at some point...

The good thing was that I got to learn how to read a 1919 Japanese government document, which means older Chinese characters (actually traditional Chinese format with meaning closer that Taiwan uses now) and older Japanese grammar. I got to learn how to read the kanji in Japanese.

Unlike the last research period (one-week at the end of August), I feel like I am actually doing research this time around (two-week period from Oct. 24 to Nov. 8). Rather than browsing through sources, I read through them and thus have more knowledge than before. I begin to feel excited about research again but I need to find my master thesis topic before I head back to the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment