Saturday, June 20, 2009

As an American Abroad

I had my first unfriendly encounter as an American abroad. Thus far, when I said I came from America, the Chinese would ask if I went to America to study because they always assumed I was Chinese studying in the U.S. Usually after I told the Chinese that I am an American, they would stop talking and approaching me. Non-Chinese would just react "normally" and continued to be friendly. Well, except this Russian girl I met at the karaoke after dinner. She appeared to be friendly toward me at first, at least until I told her that I am from America (aka U.S.A). Her face changed immediately, and said something like, "I do not see you" with an uncomfortable laughter. I told her that not everyone in the U.S. is the same. My words made no difference, she moved to another table. Another Russian girl I met, Duya, who has East Asian facial features (resemble Korean or Japanese features), is my friend. There are always people with different views everywhere we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment