Monday, June 29, 2009

Osaka Namba




Carla, Yu and I went to Osaka's southern downtown area, Namba, yesterday, Sunday, June 28. We rode the train for 40 minutes and walked all around the Namba and Nipponbashi (Japanese Bridge) areas. I did not visit those areas when Jason and I were in Osaka last year. Last time I wanted to see historical sites. This time, at least in Osaka, I wanted to see contemporary people's lives and spaces.

The main shopping areas, Dotonbori, Sennichimae, and Shinsaibashi. We walked into electronics shop, saw restaurants, cloth shops, thrifty (cosmetics, snacks, drinks, etc) shops, among other types. We also went to Kuromon Market, where vendors sell fresh vegetables, meat, fish, and other things.

I bought some souvenir and one yukata set (Japanese bath rope that most people wear to festivals nowadays). I have the yukata, the cloth around the waist area, and the sandals. I apparently did not only got attention from men for my red shirt, but also at least one woman. While deciding which yukata to buy, Yu advised that I get a red one because she says I look good in red. She based her advice on seeing me in the red shirt the day before. I cannot help it but felt happy.

We shared 6 takoyaki and ate okonomiyaki for lunch. Okonomiyaki is another famous Osakan food. The batter is the same as takoyaki, but the "stuffing" are cabbages, seafood or meat, and egg. The original Osakan okonomiyaki is what I have described, but the "modern style" includes noodles. I ordered the modern version. Hiroshima is also famous for okonomiyaki, but it includes noodles. Jason and I had one last year but I do not remember it much. I know it was delicious.

We left at 8:30am and came back after 5:30pm.

2 comments:

  1. Bonar and I tried this one time. It was awful to us. Glad u had a delicious one.

    ReplyDelete